In preparation for tomorrow's lesson, please read the following poem, Mending Wall, by Robert Frost. Second, analyze the phrase, "Good fences make good neighbors."
Robert Frost. 1875–
64. Mending Wall
SOMETHING there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
5
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
10
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
15
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
20
Oh, just another kind of outdoor game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
He is all pine and I am apple-orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
25
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbors."
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
"Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
30
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down!" I could say "Elves" to him,
35
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there,
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
40
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
(mr. cotto i tryed but i have to get back to class now sry about the leghth )
no, i dont think that good fences make good neibpors. the reason why i think this is becouse in the passedge it was saying (in my opinon) that the fence sees it all, but does nothing. the reseon why i say that is becouse at one point in the passedge they said that they hes been through it all.
other than that i think that this poem was complicated and didnt make much sence to me at many points.
Yes i think good neigbors make good fences because according to the poem,if the fence is good then the friendlier your neighbors. I guess that the termenology is that if you and you bneighbors are nnice an dliving happily, the stringer and good the fence is.
-Phylcia lilly
I think that the phrase means that the bigger the threat you are to the country next door to you the more the person next door to you will respect you becasue they are afraid that you could hurt them.
I do not really understand this poem. The man was saying "good fences make good neighbors," and i don't understand why he was saying it for.
I think that what this poem is true. in the poem the neighbors can be friends but they dont ever get in eachother's way. they are able to talk but at the end of the day the fence between the yeard will still be there. they can be friends without fighting over dumb things.
I think that good fence does not make a good neighbor. I think that because neighbors dont need a fence in order for then to get along and be nice to each other. there are other ways to make a good neighbor than putting up a fence.
The preview message was sent by: Dhana
I think this poem is saying that people are knocking down walls or fences and their mad about it so they build it back together because it would be easyer so that its fair.
I believe that "Good Fences" do not make good neighbors because you might be missing something that you need to succeed and life. Not only that but, you miss oppurtunities when you keep to yourself. Just like the poem says "My apple trees will never get across...And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him."I believe you can not really know someone if you have lines and barracades on friendships.But then again if you like boundaries between you and a friend then i believe that good fences can make good neighbors but besides boundaries you can't really know whether or not a person is really tru to you unless you can express to them. The poem also says "Something there is that doesn't love a wall,That wants it down!" I could say "Elves" to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather,He said it for himself. I see him there,Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top,In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed."I believe in this case good fences does not make good neighbors becuse when someone feels like you are trying to keep them out of your life and exclude them their emotions towards you can change and make thing really bad between neighbors.
I believe that the fence that is being built between the West Bank and Israel is a good idea because now there will be less suicide bombings and there will hopefully be more peace. Although this fence will limit the number of people moving from one place to another this fence will be benifitial.
Q: In preparation for tomorrow's lesson, please read the following poem, Mending Wall, by Robert Frost. Second, analyze the phrase, "Good fences make good neighbors."
A: The phrase "Good fences make good neighbors." means to me that if you have a stable good looking fence then you and your neighbor would be happy with the wall that you build, because it also borders your neighbor's land. If you have a good looking fence then you should be good with the people around you. Also when you and your neighbor put up a wall you should fix it together so that you work together and your land will stay equal. If the person was fixing the fence alone they would take some of their neighbor's land.
I do think fences make good neighbors because in the poem the guy was aking why should they out up a fencelike why do they need a fence and he kept saying that it would hold cows and other things over but they dont have any cows....but i think that they do help because you can use it for protection and to claim your land but there are some bad parts to it it doesnt always look good but i think we should have wall for just in case
Good fences make good neighbors� is a phrase that can be taken into the literal term. The poem means that if the land (the fence is right in the middle) is equal between the two neighbors then they will be good to each other even if they don�t really talk. But in simplest terms they both get what they give and if they give the same amount of fence then they�ll get the same back. So really they�ll both have the same amount of land to themselves.
no i do not think that good fences make good friends because it dose not matter if the fence is good or bad it seill means that the two neigbors are devided and seperated. if they wished to be good friends/neigbors thay would destry that fence that is devided the two.
Yes I think that good fences make good neighbor in case there are any problems between the neighbor like an apple fall out of your yard into another yard and according to the poem both of the neighbors agree on have the fence and are invalved on how they want their side even in every way.
Yes I think that a good fence makes a good neighbor because you'll know what is yours and what is your neighbor so there won't be any problems of confusion between the two neighbors. According to the poem it showed that the two neigtbor were into having everything equal in every way.
Elysee Gresham
I believe that "Good Fences" do not make good neighbors because you might be missing something that you need to succeed and life. Not only that but, you miss oppurtunities when you keep to yourself. most of our population is because of the immargrants and out neighbors. so there for i dont think that "Good Fences" are a good idea.
Post a Comment